Emirates Airlines is a UAE-based aviation company providing commercial air transportation services across the world. According to the findings of the Annual Report 2010-2011, the company has reached to highly prestigious ranks mostly because of its strategies focusing on the importance of adoption and encouragement of fair competition, transparency and an open skies policy. At present, the company operates 1200 flights per week across 6 continents from Dubai International Airport. The phenomenal success of the company in the global markets is reflected in the number of aircraft services it is offering to its customers. At present there are more than 170 aircraft, including the latest Airbus and Boeing Aircraft. The prime aim of the company is to effectively include the trending innovations in its ongoing workplace practices to become the most admired airlines across the world.
The five forces analysis is a tool for understanding where power lies in a business situation and even compares the current strength of the company with that of the competitors. In case of the Emirates Airlines, following are the specifications in this context:
1. Threat of Entrants:The airline industry has always been a low entry barrier industry, which means its rules and regulations have always been flexible for the new entrants. The Middle East has a number of good sources of finance which is considered as the prime entry barrier. As the industry requires a periodic advancement in the technology and the level of expertise it has incorporated into its working strategies, hence, the sources of finance make all things purchasable conveniently. There is a direct impact on the profit rates of the company due to the entry of the new entrants hence the risk is quite high.
2. Intensity of Competitive Rivalry:The level of competition in the airline industry has always been quite high and due to this reason the company tends to earn a low return on every new venture it introduces. But the risks posed by the competitors are highly avoided due to the support offered by the government in terms of finance or legal flexibilities.
3. Bargaining Power of the customers:The bargaining power of the customer or the buyer in the Aviation industry is somewhat low. This power is defined as the ability of the customer to put pressure on the service providers so as they introduce new services and reformations in the current ones in compliance to the perceptions and needs of the customers. If the bargaining power is high, then the customers are less sensitive towards the price changes in the market.
4. Bargaining Power of the suppliers:The bargaining power of the suppliers is quite high in the company. For Emirates Airlines, Airbus and Boeing are the major suppliers and the competition between the two is quite high. The power of suppliers is high because they may refuse to work with the firm during economic turmoil or may also introduce exorbitant prices for the exclusive resources.
5. Threat of Substitute Products:In the Middle East markets, there are two types of players namely budget and luxury. This leads to a huge price difference. So for a short distance flight most of the people prefer cheaper tickets. This lowers the profit rates of the Emirates that highly focus on its luxury flights. Also, the services offered by the competitors have a wide difference in the price performance when compared to the Emirates.
The external analysis of the company could be done using the PESTEL analysis tool. It is an analytical tool that helps the organization to map the external trends or forces that may have a positive and negative impact on the organization. The PESTEL analysis of the Emirates Airlines is as follows:
Political: The two major political issues that have a deep impact on the working strategies of the Emirates include Wars and terrorism. The activities related to both these issues leaves the countries unattractive for the tourists and business partners. The terrorist activities in countries like USA, Lebanon, UK and Qatar have contributed in cutting down the passenger traffics in such vulnerable areas.
Economic: The aviation industry has boomed greatly because there has always been a financial support from the countries in which it is operating. For instance, UAE has always readily invested in its major airports of Abu Dhabi and Dubai and the researchers have also predicted that this investment will tend to exceed DH 71 Billion in the coming two decades.
Social:The social factors include increasing global population, literacy rates and improving lifestyles of the people. In UAE, the number of expatriates has increased a lot in the last decades and this has made a direct profit for the aviation company as these expatriates travel regularly to their homelands. But the population of a country isn't always expanding. In times of epidemics, like Bird Flu and other killer diseases, the population of a country declines rapidly and at that time the economy of the company dwindles.
Technological:Technology has always influenced business both in a positive as well as in a negative manner. For instance, the e-ticketing service and availability of the internet has made people to consider Airlines as a quick and a better option. At the same time it has also bought the current and potential customers closer to the Aviation Sector. On the contrary, the concept of Tele and Video-Conferencing has made the corporate business person to interact with one another without travelling. This has reduced the numbers of businessman travelling to various countries for face to face meetings.
Environmental:The climate changes due to increase in pollution levels have also posed a number of challenges to the company. Like all the others, Emirates have to follow a concept of “Green Flying” to protect the environment. Such initiatives are quite costly and the companies have to keep aside additional money for their implementation.
Legal:Emirates Airlines, like all the other Airlines in the Aviation industry, are constantly bombarded by the customers and staff members with lawsuits in times when they are displeased with the services or working policies of the company. Also, there are a number of rules and regulations of a country, to which the company has to abide and moreover all these rules are in a dynamic state, so the company has to reform its strategies and policies according to these changes.
The internal analysis of the Emirates Airlines could be done by using the SWOT analysis tool. It is a structured planning method that evaluates the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats for a company being analyzed. The SWOT analysis for the Emirates is as follows:
A stakeholder is a person, group or organization that has a say in the company’s decision and is affected by the objectives and actions of the company. The major stakeholders of the Emirates are:
1. Customers: These are the ultimate source of profit and the Emirates develop a number of strategies to retain the current customers and attract the new ones. Although customers are quite pivotal to the firm yet they do not play a major role in influencing the management of the firm.
2. Employees: As Hospitality is a prime element of the Travel and Tourism industry, hence, the staff members play a crucial role in the company’s decision-making process. There are a number of cases when the company has reformed its strategies due to dissatisfaction among the employees.
3. Competitors: Emirates has been a market leader when one talks about luxury travelling, but there a number of competitors that offers cheap flights in the markets. The major competitors include Etihad Airways, Qatar Airways, Jet Airways and Air India.
4. Suppliers:The major suppliers of the company include Boeing and Airbus. These suppliers have a great share in the profit of the company. Apart from this, the company also highly depends on the online travel agencies for the e-ticketing services. These agencies are namely, cheapflights.co.uk, expedia.co.uk, etc. These websites provide cheap and convenient deals to the customers.
5. Media:Media plays a crucial role in promoting the services of the company. The advertising campaigns attract a huge customer base for the firm. The company also tries to keep good relations with the firm to maintain a close relationship with its customers.
6. Government:The Company has a number of legislations: European, Domestic and International. These legal systems are quite strict and cannot be easily tailored according to the requirements of the firm. There are a number of cases when the legal obligations of some specific countries do not allow the company to operate its flights.
Emirates Airlines has been so successful till due to its pricing strategy it uses against its competitors. Apart from the airlines industry, the company has also adopted a number of new positive moves by entering into new innovative businesses. The corporate strategy of the firm aims to create a good image of the company in front of its customers to rapidly increase its customer base. The four building blocks of competitive advantage of the emirates are efficiency, Quality, Innovation and Customer Responsiveness. The company has adopted a number of measures to address these building blocks. The simplest measure of Efficiency is the quantity of inputs that it takes it to produce a given output. Emirates has always developed its strategies and policies in compliance with the needs of its customers. In other words, it has always given an input predicting a high level of outcome. Contrary to its competitors, Emirates has introduced better services to attract a huge customer base. The Quality of the services offered by the company has been appreciated by millions of customers all over the globe. This is because the company has never compromised with the services it offers. Customers are considered as a prime element by the firm and most of the policies and services are framed keeping in mind the changing needs of the customers.
The firm has also been involved in introducing a number of advancements which are unique to the company and has given an edge over the similar players in the Aviation sector. For example, Emirates was the first company to introduce Audio and Video on demand on every seat of every class in its flights. Similarly, it was also the first to launch 1,000 entertainment channels on demand. The company is also known to adopt an innovative concept of on-board spa and shower concept giving a luxurious experience to its customers. The innovative ideas have allowed the company to take risks and strive in the business world.
A Major challenge for any emerging as well as for a well established business is to analyze the changing needs of its customers and then develop products and services in compliance to those changing demands. This is known as Customer Responsiveness. The Emirates has been successful in evaluating the perceptions of its customers and have collaboratively worked to develop services according to their needs. The other competitors of the same genre have also developed a number of services, but their timing was not perfect.
Strategic Alliance is an agreement of cooperation signed between two or more independent firms to work together to achieve a common objective in an efficient manner. After entering into this agreement, the participating firms remain independent from one another and do not form an entirely new entity. At present Emirates has already entered into a strategic alliance with the Qantas, having its traditional hub in Singapore. Although this partnership was specifically made to support the dwindling business of the Qantas, yet the other participant too had a direct benefit from the alliance as the competitive pressure was minimized to some extent. In a Strategic Alliance partnership, the following five criteria are identified as being crucial to success of any commercial partnership:
The Emirates Airlines has already adopted the idea of expanding its business from its hub in the Middle East and this decision was taken at a very early stage of its development. The idea of going global has already benefitted the firm in a variety of ways. For instance, as the bargaining power of the suppliers have always been quite high, hence with the idea of getting global the firm has discovered a number of cheap suppliers overseas with the same level of quality. In the same manner, as the lifestyle is changing all over the globe at a rapid pace, hence, the firm has also started to target a number of international customers developing services to meet their specific needs.
Although the idea of getting global is profitable in every sense, but it has a number of problems associated with it. Some of the recognized problems for the Emirates Airlines are:
The recommendations for the above mentioned problems could be as follows:
Ashidiqy, A., 2014. Emirates Airlines Draft Strategic 2013-2014. Emirates Airlines Draft Strategic 2013-2014, 09 February.
CAPA Centre for Aviation , 2015. Emirates Airline turns 30: Just as it has changed the world, now Emirates faces its own changes. Emirates Airline turns 30: Just as it has changed the world, now Emirates faces its own changes, 26 October.
Cederholm, T., 2014. PESTEL framework analyzes the industry’s external environment. PESTEL framework analyzes the industry’s external environment, 03 September.
Georgieva, A., 2016. PESTLE analysis Airplane industry. PESTLE analysis Airplane industry, 10 March., Available at: https://prezi.com/_wao8icmmatr/pestle-analysis-airplane-industry/
Haines, G., 2013. The Qantas - Emirates Strategic AllianceInternational Air Transport Association, 2011. Vision 2050: IATA, Available at: https://www.iata.org/pressroom/facts_figures/Documents/vision-2050.pdf
Jammoul, A., 2011. Emirates Airlines Strategy, Available at: https://www.academia.edu/5494792/Emirates_Airlines_Strategy
Linda, 2011. Go Global: Three reasons why every small business should trade overseas. Go Global: Three reasons why every small business should trade overseas2011, 18 October.
Maktoum, R., 2003. Emirates Airlines Expansion to the Unites States- New York: Emirates Consulting, Available at: https://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~jmei/homejp/emirates.pdf
Pearson Education, Inc., 2012. Case Study: Emirates Airline: Pearson, Available at: https://www.versanttest.com/solutions/Case%20Study%20-%20Emirates%20Airline.pdf
Research and markets, 2011. Emirates Airline - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review. Emirates Airline - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review, April.
S Yousef , 2014. Emirates Airline Case Study: Prezi, Available at: https://prezi.com/vv-fdkyn3ksk/emirates-airline-case-study/
Schaar, D., 2010. Analysis of Airport Stakeholders, Available at: https://catsr.ite.gmu.edu/pubs/ICNS_Schaar_AirportStakeholders.pdf
The Emirates Group, 2016. The Emirates Group: Our Innovation. [Online]
Available at: https://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/english/about/why/innovation.aspx
The student centre, 2016. Designing a Quality Management System: A Case Study on Emirates Airline. Designing a Quality Management System: A Case Study on Emirates Airline.
Ukessays Team, 2015. Continuing Success Of Emirates Airlines Marketing. Continuing Success Of Emirates Airlines Marketing , 23 March.
Yadav, A., 2009. Emirates- Porter's 5 forces: Scribd., Available at: https://www.scribd.com/doc/23940023/Emirates-Porter-s-5
Earn back money you have spent on downloaded sample
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below.
Assignment Hippo (2022) . Retrive from https://assignmenthippo.com/sample-assignment/emirates-airlines-a-breakthrough-in-assessment-answer
"." Assignment Hippo ,2022, https://assignmenthippo.com/sample-assignment/emirates-airlines-a-breakthrough-in-assessment-answer
Assignment Hippo (2022) . Available from: https://assignmenthippo.com/sample-assignment/emirates-airlines-a-breakthrough-in-assessment-answer
Assignment Hippo . ''(Assignment Hippo,2022) https://assignmenthippo.com/sample-assignment/emirates-airlines-a-breakthrough-in-assessment-answer accessed 29/05/2022.
Talk to our expert to get the help with Emirates Airlines: A Breakthrough In Assessment Answers from Assignment Hippo Experts to complete your assessment on time and boost your grades now
The main aim/motive of the finance assignment help services is to get connect with a greater number of students, and effectively help, and support them in getting completing their assignments the students also get find this a wonderful opportunity where they could effectively learn more about their topics, as the experts also have the best team members with them in which all the members effectively support each other to get complete their diploma assignment help Australia. They complete the assessments of the students in an appropriate manner and deliver them back to the students before the due date of the assignment so that the students could timely submit this, and can score higher marks.Â The experts of the assignment help services at www.assignmenthippo.com are so much skilled, capable, talented, and experienced in their field and use our best and free Citation Generator and cite your writing assignments, so, for this, they can effectively write the best economics assignment help services.
Want to order fresh copy of the Sample Emirates Airlines: A Breakthrough In Assessment Answers? online or do you need the old solutions for Sample Emirates Airlines: A Breakthrough In Assessment Answer, contact our customer support or talk to us to get the answers of it.Assignment Help Australia
Want to order fresh copy of the Emirates Airlines: A Breakthrough In Assessment Answers? online or do you need the old solutions for Sample Emirates Airlines: A Breakthrough In Assessment Answer, contact our customer support or talk to us to get the answers of it.
Our motto is deliver assignment on Time. Our Expert writers deliver quality assignments to the students.
Get reliable and unique assignments by using our 100% plagiarism-free.
Get connected 24*7 with our Live Chat support executives to receive instant solutions for your assignment.
Get Help with all the subjects like: Programming, Accounting, Finance, Engineering, Law and Marketing.
Get premium service at a pocket-friendly rate at AssignmentHippo
I was struggling so hard to complete my marketing assignment on brand development when I decided to finally reach to the experts of this portal. They certainly deliver perfect consistency and the desired format. The content prepared by the experts of this platform was simply amazing. I definitely owe my grades to them.