ICTPMG609 Plan and direct complex ICT projects
ASSESSMENT 1 – PROJECT
This information is to be handed to each student to outline the assessment requirements
SCENARIO: Your task is to analyse, plan, control and monitor a project. The project details are below:
“In present business world, Corporate organisations often want to implement some of the functionality of Web 2.0 sites to build an Enterprise 2.0 Intranet.
You are required to develop an ASP.NET version of a staff Microblogging site (similar to twitter, tumblr, posterous, etc.). The site must store and use data from an Access database that you design. The site must be a secure site with two types of users: General Users and System Administrators.
Unauthenticated users of the “outward facing” web site must be able to see the organisation’s staff and department lists, and the Microblog entries marked as Public.”
General Users must be able to create their own accounts, change their own passwords and have individual profiles. Users are organised into departments (eg Human Resources, Accounts, Marketing, IT Support).They will only appear listed on the outward facing web site when they have been authorised by the System Administrator, who also attaches them to departments.
Once registered they must be able to use their own Microblog account, with each entry being added at the top of their page with the date and time of posting clearly visible. Each entry must be restricted to 200 characters (including spaces). Users should be able to edit their own entries, but not anyone else’s. They can comment on other entries. By default all entries are Private to the company, but authenticated users can change their own entries to Public at any time which has the effect of making them visible on the outward facing web site.
You may need to develop a small number of ASP.NET pages that use data from a MS Access database, including
- A list of departments (coming from the database). Selecting a department will give a list of all the staff in the department. Selecting a member of staff gives full details of the person, including all their Public Microblog entries.
- A list of staff in alphabetical order by surname, with a link to their full details.
- All Microblog entries by all users in reverse order by date posted, counted as 10 per page.
- Option to include or exclude comments in the listings.
System Administrators have all the above functionality. They are all in the IT Support Department. They also need pages with the following functionality that no one else can access:
- Add, edit and delete departments, but departments with staff should not be able to be deleted (to preserve referential integrity).
- Authenticate new users
- Attach staff to departments, or remove them from departments.
- Change the status of a user from General User to System Administrator
- View a list of new user, with easy links to authenticate them.
In addition, the site will be assessed for interface design, usability and accessibility features. It will also be assessed on whether it meets the client's requirements.
OBJECTIVE You are required to create a document with the followings for analyse, plan, control and monitor the above-mentioned project and present to your trainer/assessor for sign-off and assessment:
- Identify the strategic and operational needs of the project during the planning phase
- Identify and consider the organisation's strategic and business plans and its output requirements
- Identify and explore client requirements and the impact of legislation and industry codes and standards
- Conduct a risk-management analysis and develop and document a risk-management plan
- Identify and document project budget, specified to a level that can be used for the management of sub-tasks
- Define skills needed for the successful completion of project
- Define, document and secure physical and other resources required to support the project
- Define and document a consultation strategy or process that will be used to inform clients, contractors and other interested parties of the project's progress, and seek their input as required
- Monitor project progress according to project plan requirements, using appropriate projectmanagement tools and methodologies
- Manage team member performance, ensuring that their output is directed to the key performance indicators identified in the project plan
- Make corrections, changes and additions to the project plan in light of changing circumstances to ensure project aims and outcomes
- Report overall project progress to senior management or funding bodies as required and in line with the project plan
- Finalise the project in line with the project plan
- Conduct handover to staff members responsible for the ongoing implementation or maintenance of project products or services efficiently, effectively and in line with organisational procedures
- Debrief project team members and relevant stakeholders about the conduct of the project and the outcomes achieved
- Prepare a report analysing the strengths and weaknesses of the project plan and the conduct of the project
NOTE: For this project, the assessor is to role-play as the client. This role includes explaining the project requirements but let the student to lead the conversation. The assessor is not to prompt nor to direct the student to take any action.
SUBMISSION: Limit your Report within 1500 to 2000 words with applicable charts and/or imagery included
ASSESSMENT 2 – WRITTEN QUESTIONNAIRE
Time Allowed: 3 Hours
This is an open book written assessment. In the time allocated, you are to answer all of the following questions.
Make sure you:
- Print Clearly
- Answer all questions
- Use standard A4 sheet to print answers or if the sheet is provided
- Use only black or blue ink to print assessment answers
- Ask your assessor if you do not understand a question. Whist your assessor cannot tell you the answer, he/she may be able to re-word the question for you
- - What is the role of the Project Manager? What are suggested skills for information technology project managers?
- - What is a project, and what are its main attributes? How is a project different from what most people do in their day-to-day jobs?
- - Briefly describe the strategic planning process, including a SWOT analysis.
- - Describe Work Breakdown Structure and why it is often so important.
- - What is project scope management? State its importance on information technology projects?
- - Describe the project management framework, providing examples of stakeholders, knowledge areas, tools and techniques, and project success factors.
- – How an effective cost management would affect completing projects within budget?
- - Explain the process to determine the project budget.
- - Summarize the processes involved in human resource management in a project.
- – Compare and contrast brainstorming and the Delphi technique for risk identification? List an advantage and disadvantage of each approach?
- - What is Project Management?
- - Summarize key work involved in each of the six processes for project integration management.
- - Explain the following schedule development tools and concepts: Gantt charts, critical path method, PERT, and critical chain scheduling.
- - Give an example with explanation of using each of the following techniques for creating a cost estimate: analogous, parametric, and bottom-up.
- - Summarize different tools and techniques project managers can use to help them manage project teams. What can they do to manage virtual team members?
- - Explain positive risk and negative risk. Provide realistic examples of each of the risk response strategies for both negative and positive risks.